by Jon Torress | Mar. 21, 2020
Content marketing can offer your business numerous benefits by bringing in loyal customers and quality leads. It’s widely accepted that content marketing is a crucial part of a successful marketing strategy. This post will explain exactly what content marketing is, why you need it and how to start forming a strategy.
RECOMMENDED: Why SEO should be part of content marketing strategy
What is Content Marketing?
The idea of content marketing might seem overwhelming. Let’s get a clear idea of this concept before diving in. Here’s a solid definition of content marketing, provided by the Content Marketing Institute:
“Content marketing is the strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience and ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
So, what does that mean? Plainly stated, content marketing refers to the creation of relevant content with the goal of attracting the right audience. The overall aim is to gain loyal customers and increase profits.
Content marketing is a brilliant strategy because customers are drawn in with information they actually care about. In contrast to traditional advertisements that impose products on potential customers, content marketing draws in an audience that wants to be there. The result? Better leads and increased sales.
Why do you need it?
Content marketing should absolutely be a part of your overall marketing strategy. Here’s why you should implement it:
- You’ll save money: In terms of advertising, content marketing is the smartest move you can make for your bank account. Instead of paying for ads, you can bring in hundreds of potential customers by creating the right content. Writing a blog post is free and can attract way more customers than an advertisement alone.
- Your sales will increase: How does content marketing affect your business? The result of attracting customers with relevant content is an increase in sales. The people visiting your site are actually interested in what you have to offer.
- Gain loyal customers: Again, the audience that views your content has chosen to be there. This increases the chance of them joining an email list, becoming a regular visitor and hopefully, a loyal customer.
5 Types of Content Marketing
- Blogs: Blogs are great because they are potentially free. If you have a knack for writing you can start your blog all by yourself. If you have a website for your business, it’s a no brainer to add a blog section to the site.
- Videos: Videos are an essential element of content marketing. Videos are highly likely to grab the audience’s attention with the easy-to-digest format.
- Infographics: Infographics condense information into a compelling image. The target audience can gain valuable information with visual data.
- eBooks: eBooks are perceived as an incredibly valuable product by customers. They can also be valuable to you. You can gain more information about your customers when they complete the signup process to receive the e-Book.
- Social Media: If you’re not using your social media posts to reach your target audience, you need to start immediately. Relevant social media posts are one of the best (and free) tools out there to form a relationship with your target audience.
How to Make Money with Content Marketing
Successful content marketing is all about strategy. According to Arketi Group, effective content must be “relevant, varied, personal, fresh.” Rather than focusing on one type of content, you should be providing a diverse array of content to reach your audience.
This means writing blog posts, making videos, utilizing social media and more. Do your own research to find out what topics are most relevant in your niche. Last but not least, be consistent with your overall tone and stay true to your brand.
Here are some tips so you can start making money with content marketing
- Search intent: In order to make money with your content, it needs to be relevant. Understand the search intent, or the “why?” behind the search. You should understand what the target audience is searching for and make content that provides the answer.
- Use the right keywords: So now you understand what the customer is looking for. How do you reach them? The answer is keywords. Research and understand how to use the correct keywords to rank in a Google search. Check out Ahrefs Keywords Explorer to get a better idea of the right keywords to use.
- Quality over quantity: There’s really no point in reaching out to leads that aren’t interested in the product. Making money with content marketing means attracting quality leads that are likely to purchase what you offer.
- Create lead magnets: You can attract quality leads with lead magnets. A lead magnet is a product offered to the target audience in exchange for contact information. This is where eBooks, articles, and videos come in to play.
- Build your email list: From the lead magnets, you can build your email list. Monetize your email list by offering exclusive products and information to your audience. This is how you stay connected with the audience and gain a loyal customer base.
Content marketing requires creativity, effort, and a solid strategy, but it is a powerful way to reach your target audience. The best part is, it’s a cost-effective way to reach the audience and gain quality leads. Understand what your audience is looking for and create informative content to draw them in. Make sure to diversify your content to reach a larger audience. Create your strategy and start reaping the benefits of content marketing.
Authored by Jon Torres
Jon is a content marketing expert and founder of jontorres.com, a blog dedicated to teaching others about affiliate marketing and SEO. Jon writes about his experience in web-based entrepreneurship and digital marketing.